Before departing for Pontianak, West Kalimantan, for a working visit at Halim Perdanakusuma airport here on Monday President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said information in the text message was "not clearly sourced, contained outrageous slander"
President Yudhoyono said a lot of people had already become victims of slander in the country including he himself.
"While carrying out the mandate given through a legitimate and democratic election so far, I think, hundreds of pieces of slander have already been addressed to me. So far I have chosen to remain quiet. But when it has become too much, one or twice for, the sake of my reputation and my right, I feel, I have to give an explanation," he said.
President Yudhoyono expressed concern over the irresponsible persons who had spread the slander unscrupulously.
"The slander made by those from `darkness` is too much. I would say outright that they are irresponsible," he said.
He said those who had spread slander were also not gentlemen-like but cowards because they did not show themselves.
"Do not continue spreading poisonous slander. Let us be like gentlemen, fight face to face for the sake of justice and law," he said.
Test messages have spread in the past few days from a cellphone number abroad accusing President Yudhoyono of having committed inappropriate actions.
The message appeared following the departure of M Nazaruddin, the former treasurer of the ruling Democrat Party to Singapore just a day before the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) applied for his travel ban in connection with his alleged involvement in a corruption case and before the party`s ethics council fired him from his post as a party treasurer.
Editor: Priyambodo RH
Copyright © ANTARA 2011