Nabire, C Papua (ANTARA) - Police in Central Papua said they have received no official reports of civilian casualties 15 days after violence erupted in Dogiyai District on March 31, despite claims circulating online.

Deputy Central Papua Police Chief Senior Commissioner Gustav R. Urbinas said Wednesday that reports of civilian victims have so far appeared only on social media and have not been formally filed by residents.

“Information about civilian victims is limited to social media, and no Dogiyai resident has submitted an official report,” Urbinas said.

He stressed police cannot confirm any civilian deaths or serious injuries without clear evidence and verified complaints from the public.

Urbinas said Central Papua Police and Dogiyai District Police have handled 10 police reports linked to the unrest, none containing initial evidence of civilian casualties.

Of the total, six reports involve violent crimes, including an assault that killed a police officer, attacks on officers, vehicle arson, property damage, and an air rifle shooting.

Four other reports relate to alleged violations of Indonesia’s electronic information law involving the spread of false information on social media.​​​​​​​

Urbinas said authorities are continuing investigations to verify claims about civilian victims tied to the conflict.

“We will summon several parties to establish whether there were civilian casualties, whether caused by police actions, unidentified individuals, or other parties,” he said.

He urged residents with information or relatives believed to be victims to report to police promptly.

“We are open. Please come forward with verifiable evidence so the facts can be established,” Urbinas said.

He added that verification could involve external parties, including independent institutions, to ensure transparency in handling the case.

The unrest followed the death of a 24-year-old Dogiyai police officer, identified as JE, in Kimupugi Village, Kamuu Subdistrict, on March 31.

The officer was found dead with sharp-force injuries to the neck and back of the head, as well as wounds to his right hand.

Police action following the killing had reportedly triggered broader clashes between residents and officers in Dogiyai.

Related news: Indonesian police reenact killing of two Brimob officers in Papua

Related news: Indonesian forces secure Papua airport after armed group attack

Translator: Ali NI, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Primayanti
Copyright © ANTARA 2026